You’ll need: 400g plain flours, 175g caster sugar, the zest of 1 lemon, 1/2 tsp salt, buttermilk (284ml carton), 2 eggs, 85g butter, 250g of fresh fruit of choice (blueberries, raspberries or any other you choose)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven) and put 12 muffin cases in a 12 hole baking tray. Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and then make a well in the centre.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, take of the heat and then combine with eggs and buttermilk, then pour into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir until all combined, but once stiff, stop. It’s important not to over mix or your muffins will be very heavy.
3. Weigh out your fruit. The first time I made these just blueberries, this time a mix with raspberries, so you decide your preferred option. You can also use frozen fruit if you want.
4. Lightly mix the fruit into the mixture, then spoon in mixture into the muffin cases. They will be quite full, but that’s the way you want them so they come out big and bursting!
5. Cook for 20 minutes, check your muffins and then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. If they are cooked, remove at the point. It’s also a cook idea to turn the tray at this point so the back muffins aren’t over done, and the front ones slightly underdone!
Enjoy! There are a super tasty treat which are great for a snack or a quick breakfast if you’re running late in the morning. I only made these at the weekend, and already I’ve done another batch- they’re so good!