I made dinner last night for my family and I, and these two sides were a recipe I saw and thought looked super delicious- I was right! I served them with sausages and gravy, but roast meat or pork chops in particular would be lovely!
Crushed Roast Potatoes
1. If needed, cut your potatoes to size, then place in a pan of boiling water on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain your potatoes.
2. Put a couple of tablespoons of oil and a knob of butter in your roasting tray and remove when the butter is melted.
3. Place your potatoes in the tray and coat with the butter and oil. Then, using a fork, lightly crush each one. (Don’t worry if they’re still slightly hard. I crushed the ones I could and after about 5 minutes in the oven, did the same with the remainder!) Season with a sprinkle of fennel seeds, your rosemary and salt and pepper, and place in the oven. Cook for about 25 minutes.
4. After this time, remove the potatoes and shake them around a bit. Peel and crush your garlic and add to the potatoes, then put them in the oven for a remaining 20-30 minutes.
5. Serve and enjoy!
1. Finely slice your shallots (I did two shallots for this dish to serve three people) and cube your pancetta.
2. Heat oil on medium heat in a pan. Add you pancetta and fry for two minutes, then add the shallots and cook for another 2 minutes. Add enough wine (or stock if you aren’t using wine) to just cover your shallots and pancetta and simmer on low heat.
3. After about 5 minutes of simmering, once the wine has reduced, add in your peas (as many as you need to serve your family or guests) and chicken stock. (I used about 200ml for 3)
4. After a few minutes, when your peas are cooked to how you life, drain off any excess liquid and serve the peas. Season with salt and pepper
And voila! Two very tasty side dishes which are easily done too! Hope you enjoy!
Are you cooking any tasty treats this weekend? Let me know! Kath xx